Total Pageviews

Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

As an adult I've always had an uneasy relationship with Valentine's day.  Cupid and I don't see eye to eye very often and our feud always seems to escalate around the 14th of February.  There was a time that I would send out black valentine cards.  I filled them with pithy poems fraught with sardonic rants about my romantic woes.  I eventually ended this tradition and embraced the holiday, choosing instead to send cards, cookies or a kind word to the many in my life that I do love.

Most of you know my ridiculous streak of dating European men and their sometime ignorance of the American traditions of Valentine's day. It's something about the accent, I don't know.  Anyway, one man gave me a virus protection program...still wrapped in the original packaging and presented in the Best Buy bag it was placed in at the store.  sigh.  Again, most of you know my love of wrapping and you can put just about anything in a beautiful box with gorgeous paper and I will swoon. I just smiled and thanked him for this most thoughtful gift. To him, he was caring for me and showing me love....in a VERY practical way.  lol.  Our relationship was never one of roses, stuffed animals or heart shaped boxes of chocolate.  I've had my share of romantic evenings and really cannot complain too loudly about my Valentine's days of late.

I realized that once I embraced all the love in my life,love of family, friends (FRAMILY), music, and my amazing city, that I would sign that peace treaty with cupid.  There has been peace for a few years now but I'm sure we'll get into it again at some juncture.  He's a fickle imp who sometimes just needs to be put in his  place.

Happy Valentine's Day all my loves!

~Mel

1 comment: