Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 12, 2015

A year in the life...

I cannot believe it has been a little over a year since my last post,  There are many witty quips to insert here about time flying and in a blink of an eye.  It truly is amazing how time does seem to slip through ones fingers so rapidly.  I've had a wonderful year.  A year filled with travel, friends, family, work and loads of restorative beach time.  One of the advantages of having Long Island boyfriend is the opportunity to spend many many moments at the beach.  As a desert rat from the great southwest I am still awed by the immense beauty of the sea.  We are so fortunate here in New York to be surrounded by water.  I live one block from the confluence of the Hudson and Harlem rivers.  I sit on a bench and mull over my list of do tos whilst watching the mighty rivers roil.  I'm so fortunate.  I'm a little crab, cancer born here, and I have loved water my entire life.  From fountains to pools, to puddles after a desert rain I've always had an appreciation and love of water.

Some of my fondest memories are of sitting on our back porch and watching the thunderstorms roll in and pour down those golden drops.  My Mother and I would hastily place her beautiful potted planted under the rushing stream of run off.  The smell of the desert after a rain is a most glorious thing.  I'm convinced that if one could successfully bottle it the financial gains would be through the roof!  But perhaps things like that aren't meant to be reproduced but to be experienced in the moment.  Savored.  Cherished.  Like so many trying to catch lightning in a bottle, the secret may lie in taking the time to enjoy things when they happen.  A few summers ago my family took an Alaskan cruise.  It was astounding.  I've never experienced anything like it.  At one point we were on a whale watching tour and a huge pod of humpbacks surfaced right next to the boat.  Magical.  Everyone was clamoring for their video cameras, phones and 35 mm's.  I was right there with them and got some beautiful pictures.  At some point Pam and I just stopped filming and began to really enjoy the experience.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE pictures.  My brother in law is a master photog and has truly captured the essence of many of our trips.  But even he put down the camera and just took in the moment.  It's important to savor these moments.  Input them into the memory bank.  I'm so happy we did.

One of my highlights this summer was to travel back to Canyon Texas for the 50th Anniversary to The Musical Drama TEXAS!  It was simply divine.  I saw friends I hadn't seen in 25 years.  That just doesn't seem possible but well...refer above to cliche about flying clocks. The weekend was jammed packed with memories and events.  It was so wonderful to catch up with old friends, meet new ones, celebrate those that have gone before us and relish in the current production.  Such a talented group this year.  I adored the show!  My only complaint was that the weekend was simply too short.  I'm so grateful to facebook for putting us all back in touch.  I love seeing everyones adventures and families.  It's good to have a community and a history to share with friends.  One of the most touching moments was when a friend came up and told me she had been following my blog and that my journey with my grief was akin to hers.  When I started this journey I did it for healing purposes.  It was my response to the all encompassing grief I felt after we lost our Mom.  It was healing and helpful to know I could come here and express my feelings.  I never contemplated that it was mirror anyone else experience.  I thank you Tara for letting me know.  It was wonderful seeing you!

Well, dear friends, I'm off to the panhandle again tomorrow.  I will be performing with Amarillo Opera for the next few weeks.  If you're in the area, give me a shout.  I 'm so looking forward to being back in the country I love so much.

Love and light,

Mel


No comments:

Post a Comment