Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Shifting Sands...

Hello Bloggerinis!!!

Summer months seemed to fly by, as they usually do.  I do love summer.  I think growing up in the Sun City had a lot to do with that.  We have summer about 7 months of the year.  I remember having to buy a winter coat when off to college and then having to upgrade said coat when my journey brought me to the east coast.  The first day of truly warm weather is a holiday in my book.  Sleeveless blouses, shorts and well worn trusty converse sneaks are my uniform and I bask in the warm glow of the sun.  I love to swim and this summer afforded me some spectacular beach time.  Having a beau who lives 5 minutes from the beach has its advantages.  September is barreling down here in NYC and in true east coast fashion this is the hottest week we've had thus far.

So typical for an east coast vibe.  We simply refuse to do what  we are told, when we are told it and in a fashion the rest of the country would deem appropriate.  Such a difficult and petulant place NYC can be.  While some things seem so easy, others can just drain the life out of you.  Think your local DMV, Friday 4:30 pm times 250, ALL THE TIME.  I celebrated 14 years in NYC this past weekend.  I was in Philly for 8 before that. I've officially lived on the east coast longer than I have in Texas.  An odd milestone to realize given my deep roots in the Lone Star State.  I suppose with my transient lifestyle I always thought I'd return to Texas.  I might, but I won't be the same Texan I was when I left.  I'm burnished, frayed, and informed by the patina of living in a city that is at once miraculous and in the blink of an eye so difficult that swimming through honey seems a less daunting task.

There is a restlessness in the air here these days. The world seems to be imploding on itself and I find myself so distracted by world events and the cruelty we inflict on each other.  I will never understand it.  I could rant for paragraphs about ideologies and power struggles but it would be nothing new.  What is new is the creeping sense that times are truly "a-changing".  I've noticed others in my Facebook realm comment on this niggling feeling.  I wonder if the collective "we" have a deep intuition that is mostly untapped.  Imagine the power of banding to together to realize this shift and move seamlessly together to a new more peaceful paradigm. Evolution at it's highest form.  New York is a good example of the conundrum that faces our evolving world.  It is a city that is chock full of people looking out only for themselves, yet needing the power of the millions to make it through their day successfully.  Taking the time to extend just the tiniest droplet of kindness would improve things exponentially.  Small changes made by large groups of population can help stabilize this ever shifting beach we are traversing.

So how about it dear friends.  Let's make a pledge to be just a little bit kinder.  It might seem foreign at first but like any new and worthy endeavor it will become second nature in no time!  Let us be the change, let us take back the power, let US grow this world into the paradise we know it can be.  The first step is to think outside of our apartment walls and reach out, if only in the tiniest way.  I have faith we can do this.

~Mel




No comments:

Post a Comment