Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Tale of two teeth...(well, actually three)

Summer just seems to be flying by.  I know most of us are under the "ring of fire" heat that the weathermen keep preaching about.  I grew up in El Paso, Tx and 100 plus temps are not new to me.  I can complain about the heat with the best of them but secretly I adore shorts and flip flop weather.  I know when to stay out of the sun and when to venture into the magical wonder that is a warm summer twighlight.  I've had the great joy to be spending the past few weeks with my Father and Sister in El Paso.  The weather has been amazing and we've even had some bombastic boomers to keep up cool in the evening.  Lightning in West Texas is not to be missed.  One of the purposes of this visit was to help Dad with a few chores around the casa.  There are approximately 317 closets in this beast and every single one of them is chock full of priceless treasures.  My Mother liked pretty things, so did her Mother and her Mother and her Mother all the way back to Mother Eve creating her first table scape.  I am no different.  I adore having things around me that engender a warm memory or two.  That being said, I live in a Manhattan apartment and space just isn't what it is here on the Parks closet ranch.  So, purging must occur.  We have already done quite a bit but it seems those little bugger multiply every time you turn your back.  Anyone need a copper silent butler? How about an egg stand?  What exactly do you DO with 4 sets of toast tongs?  It's a quandary, my lovelies, and Pam and I were up to the challenge this week.  We also had the help of our dear friend Jan Morris to keep us on the track to purgeville. 

In our wanderings we came across a mysterious find indeed.  3 gold teeth.  Yes, the teeth were attached and no, we have no idea whose teeth these were.  Maybe Mom ran a side business and someone didn't pay up?  After all, someone had to pay for those toast tongs.  At any rate, Pam and I decided we would try to sell them to one of those cash for gold places.  We thought it would be a kick and diligently researched where to go.  We couldn't very well walk into our family jeweler and say..oh by the way we found these teeth!  Quite a dilemma indeed.  So we found a place on our side of town and set off to make our fortune.  We entered this lovely shop and were greeted by an affable fellow.  He smiled when we showed him the teeth but admitted that he had no idea what to do with them.  We we told him we had gold teeth I think he was thinking along the P Diddy grill line.  Little did he know that we were bringing him our ancestral teeth to sell.  Then from the very back of the shop i hear: "Melissa Parks??!!!!".  I'd be lying if I didn't look behind me hoping that another Melissa Parks was strutting through the door but alas, no, she was calling to me.  Turns out one of my high school friends works at this shop and recognized me.  We are face book friends and I must say the years have been very kind to her.  She looks amazing!  We caught up and she informed me that her brother would take a crack at the teeth on Tuesday when he is in.  She could NOT have been nicer.

So dear friends, beware.  When trying to sell your ancestral teeth on the down low know that someone from your past will recognize you and call you by name!  Melissa Parks...famous opera singer...blogger extraordinaire and procurer of gold teeth.  That's going on the special skills portion of my resume, STAT!!!

By the way, if anyone wants to buy some toast tongs, votive candle holders from every holiday imaginable and some gold teeth......"Have I got a deal for you..."

Love and light,

~Mel aka gold teeth dealer

No comments:

Post a Comment